Illinois is a world leader in research, teaching, and public engagement. We serve the state, the nation, and the world by creating knowledge, preparing students for lives of impact, and addressing critical societal needs through the transfer and application of knowledge. Illinois is the place where we embrace difference. We embrace it because we value it. Illinois is especially interested in candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the Illinois community.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
The Division of Intercollegiate Athletics at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign has an opening for an Event Coordinator.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Event Coordination/Management (60%)
- Oversee scheduling operations for all tennis activities/events/tournaments/programming within Atkins and Khan Tennis courts at the University of Illinois
- Plan, coordinate and assist in NCAA, Big Ten, USTA, ITA and Illinois High School Association events at Atkins Tennis Center and Khan Outdoor Tennis. This would also include events that Illinois Athletics hosts in other venues (some travel required)
- Coordinate the operational aspects of the pro shop to include staffing and training of front desk and stringers. Working hours vary according to facility usage. (expect nights and weekends)
- Assist with all special projects assigned by the Assistant Athletic Director
Strategic Leadership (35%)
- Coordinate hiring, training and scheduling of all Front Desk staff or volunteers
- Implement initiatives that foster positive customer service from part-time employees
- Work compatibly and cooperatively with the staff and personnel in the Division of Intercollegiate Athletic
- Oversee budgets for various accounts and events including the approval of expenditures prior to an event and the reconciliation of invoices after an event
- Forecast budgeting for future events and stay within budget when hosting an event.
- Assist with the coordination of contracts for scheduled events
Required: Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality, Marketing, Public Relations, Communications, Business Administration, Student Affairs, or a closely related field.
Required: One year of professional work experience in Events Planning, Conference Management, Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, or any other related field in a collegiate athletic or tennis environment.
Preferred: Knowledge and experience in the coordination and staging of large customer service events (tennis preferred). Proficiency in using computer programs for communications materials (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Photoshop, Club Automation (or similar)). Knowledge in racquet stringing.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Maintain knowledge of and compliance with specific NCAA, Big Ten Conference, and institution rules that relate to this position
- Professional attitude
- Organizational skills with attention to detail
- Proven verbal and written communication skills, as well as good interpersonal skills
- Self-direction and initiative
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time Civil Service Events Administrator Associate position appointed on a -month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the close of the search. Salary will be commensurate with experience
Applications must be received by September 22, 2021. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
Step 3) Upload the following documents:
- cover letter
- resume (months and years of employment must be included)
- academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or copy of diploma may be acceptable) for all degrees attained
- names/contact information for three references
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Krissy Doran at email@example.com. For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment