With a rich layer of cream cheese, crunchy streusel topping, and beautiful golden crust (thank you, cast iron!), it’s hard to beat this hefty coffee cake. Yogurt and a double dose of orange zest and juice in the batter keep the flavor fresh and the crumb extra tender.
Orange Coffee Cake
- 1½ cups (300 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs (150 grams), divided
- 2½ tablespoons (23 grams) tightly packed orange zest, divided
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) fresh orange juice, divided
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ½ cup (120 grams) full-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup (60 grams) whole milk
- 8 ounces (225 grams) cream cheese, softened
- Almond Streusel (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup (200 grams) sugar, melted butter, 2 eggs (100 grams), 1½ tablespoons (14 grams) orange zest, 1 tablespoon (15 grams) orange juice, and vanilla until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt and milk. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with yogurt mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, whisking just until combined after each addition. Spoon two-thirds of batter (about 582 grams) into prepared skillet, smoothing with an offset spatula; slightly push outside edges up sides of skillet.
- In another medium bowl, beat cream cheese with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add remaining ½ cup (100 grams) sugar, remaining 1 egg (50 grams), remaining 1 tablespoon (9 grams) orange zest, and remaining 1 tablespoon (15 grams) orange juice, beating until well combined. Pour on top of batter in skillet, keeping cream cheese mixture from touching sides of skillet. Spoon remaining batter along outside edge of skillet; using an offset spatula, gently smooth batter flat over cream cheese mixture. (Batter will not cover cream cheese mixture completely in center.) Sprinkle with Almond Streusel.
- Bake until center is almost set and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 175°F (79°C) to 180°F (82°C), 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool in skillet for at least 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- ½ cup (63 grams) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (67 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) tightly packed orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (57 grams) sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, orange zest, and salt. Stir in almonds. Stir in butter, stirring until mixture is crumbly. Crumble with your fingertips until desired consistency is reached.