Nothing is as comforting as maple syrup-drenched pancakes. Like a short stack with frosting, this Sour Cream Maple Cake with Maple Buttercream Frosting by Kevin Masse has all the flavors of pancakes, baked up golden and brown. The cake itself gets a hefty dose of maple syrup, giving it warm notes perfect for cozy afternoons in. The best part about this recipe is that it comes together quickly, all in one bowl.
Sour Cream Maple Cake with Maple Buttercream Frosting
- 2¾ cups (344 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) kosher salt
- 1 cup (295 grams) dark-grade pure maple syrup, plus more for drizzling
- ½ cup (112 grams) canola oil
- ½ cup (120 grams) whole milk, room temperature
- 2 large eggs (100 grams), room temperature and lightly beaten
- ¼ cup (55 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (60 grams) sour cream, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- Maple Buttercream Frosting (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter and flour a 9-inch square baking pan. Line pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan; butter and flour parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add maple syrup, oil, milk, eggs, sugars, sour cream, and vanilla, and stir with a rubber spatula just until combined and no streaks of flour remain. (There will be some lumps in batter; this is OK.) Pour batter into prepared pan. Tap pan on counter 8 times to release air bubbles.
- Bake until deep golden and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes, covering with foil after 20 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Spread Maple Buttercream Frosting onto cooled cake. Drizzle with maple syrup.
Maple Buttercream Frosting
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups (240 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons (45 grams) sour cream, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons (42 grams) dark-grade pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter at medium speed until creamy, about 3 minutes. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until combined. Add sour cream, maple syrup, and salt, and beat at medium-high speed until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. (Do not overbeat.) Use immediately.